The building of the Mitchell Marion Township Public Library was paid for with a grant from the Carnegie Corporation of New York, dated May 8, 1914. Beginning in 1899, Scottish-American businessman and philanthropist Andrew Carnegie funded the construction of a more than 2,500 libraries in the United States and abroad. By 1919, half of the 3,500 libraries in the United States had been built with construction grants paid by Carnegie’s foundation.
The library became the Mitchell Community Public Library in July 1975 serving the residents of Marion, Bono, and Spice Valley (S) townships in Lawrence County. In 1994 the original Carnegie library the library added square footage in an expansion project. We’ve pinned a number of images from the 1994 expansion and era to History Pin.
To learn more about the library, stop in and view the interactive digital exhibit on the upper level of the library. The exhibit was made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services, administered by the Indiana State Library.